I am now 30 weeks along in my pregnancy and I am feeling great. Someone at church on Sunday said, "I can't believe you are 30 weeks, you look great". I said, "thank you" and a meant it because I agree that I look pretty great!
Now that I have entered the home stretch I am starting to get excited about Austin's upcoming birth. As many of you know I am planning a drug-free, vaginal birth after a C-section (VBAC) and I couldn't be happier with my decision. I have a great team of people assembled to help me accomplish my goal; the midwives group, my doula, and my supportive husband. Last week I met with one of the OB backups for the midwives and she gave me an enthusiastic green light to proceed with my plans for a VBAC. I knew that I was a good candidate all along, but it was nice to hear that a well-respected OB agrees with me.
My favorite quote and the motto for my pregnancy, labor and delivery is:
"Remember this, for it is as true and true gets: Your body is not a lemon. You are not a machine. The Creator is not a careless mechanic. Human female bodies have the same potential to give birth well as aardvarks, lions, rhinoceri, elephants, moose, and water buffalo. Even if it has not been your habit throughout your life so far, I recommend that you learn to think positively about your body." -Ina May Gaskin
So, I am feeling great and thinking positively about my pregnancy and upcoming birth. My plans for the next 10 weeks include, tackling the stack of papers in the office that has been stacking up since I got pregnant, painting the inside of front door because it looks ugly and it drives me crazy, and preparing myself mentally and physically for the challenge of unmedicated labor. Wish me luck!
10 comments:
I love that quote you have and it is so true. Just take it one contraction, birthing wave - or whatever you want to think of it - at a time.
Make sure you are doing things that make you comfortable (not stuck sitting on a bed) even if they may seem a little silly.
It isn't easy. And while I wouldn't change anything about either of mine kid's births, for they were both learning experiences; after having one with an epidural and then one without, I want to continue having drug-free births.
You do look great! And good luck with the birth. I hope all goes well for you. That's quite the challenge. :)
I think it's awesome you're doing a VBAC---I am too!! I had Noah all natural then Hazel was an emergency c-section because her cord was in the way so we're going for a VBAC!! Woo hoo! Who wants unnecessary surgery? I'm not 100% dedicated to having this baby unmedicated this time but..we'll see. It's a goal.
Drugs are awesome! But I have a super quick recovery time, so that might have something to do with it. I was off pain meds 10 days after the surgery. I also have no faith in the human body. ;)
Good luck, Mindy! You look great and kudos to you for staying active till the bitter end. As for VBACs, if anyone can do it, I know you can - you're tenacious, strong, know what you want and work your best to get there. You will do great.
You will do great Mindy. I need to talk to you more about the midwives an doula sometime.
Hey Mindy - Keri here, Zoram's wife. I love the Ina May Gaskin quote. I love her books. And good for you, going drug free. You can do it just like women have been doing it for thousands of years. I'm a big believer in natural drug-free births. I'll be hoping the best for you in about 10 weeks :)
You look great. Good luck with the VBAC.
I love your hair in this picture, by the way.
Hi Mindy,
Good for you for going natural in a V-Bac! Have you ever heard of the Bradley Method of childbirth? It's coach-centered, so there are a lot of techniques that your hubby can do, to help you labor. It turned out for us that I didn't really want mine to touch me when I was going through a strong contraction but the class was fantastic. I actually delivered a 9-pound, 14.3-ounce baby naturally (I think James's blessing before going to the hospital helped). It was the most beautiful, spiritual experience. I hope that yours goes well!
Also, just think about it...all of our great grandmothers and before, all women have done childbirth naturally. Of course thank goodness for modern medicine when one or both of the lives are at question, but you can do it! It's pain with a purpose and it's beautiful.
Post a Comment