Saturday, October 22, 2011

What's in your Spiritual Tool Belt?

In conjunction with our weeknight Relief Society meeting in October, I was asked to talk about the experience I had of building my cabinets with a friend in my ward, Quinae.  (More about the cabinets in another post.)  I was also asked to give the spiritual thought that night, so I grabbed my son's Home Depot tool bench and tool box and here's what I came up with.  I record it here for you to read and enjoy if you wish.


With my new found love of working with power tools, comes an object lesson that I hope will stick with you.  It is loosely based on a talk given by Sister Julie B. Beck in the October 2007 Conference, entitled “What Latter-day Saint Women Do Best: Stand Strong and Immovable.”

I have some suggestions for things that we should always carry with us in our spiritual tool belt.
The first is goggles.  There were several times while building the cabinets that I choose not to wear safety goggles thinking that perhaps I could see better without them.  Nearly each time I made the decision not to wear eye protection I received in return a wood splinter in my eye.  Likewise, each time we make a decision without the influence of the Holy Ghost, we run the risk of being hurt physically and spiritually.  The best way to stay protected during life is to always have the spirit to be with you.

The second thing in our spiritual tool belt should be a tape measure.  A tape measure gives accurate measurements for one inch, one foot and one yard.  If you measure something with a tape measure you can be sure that it is accurate.  The scriptures are a spiritual measuring tape for us to pattern our lives after.  It is only when we read and follow the counsel given in the scriptures that we can be sure that we are on the straight and narrow path that leads to eternal life.

Next on our spiritual tool belt is a drill and a screwdriver.  When we make covenants with our Father in Heaven, we bind ourselves to Him, and Him to us.  The ordinances of baptism along with all of the other ordinances performed in the temple act as a high speed drill that fastens us to Heavenly Father.  With each choice we make we either tighten the screw further bringing us to our Heavenly Father, or we loosen it.  We hold the screwdriver.  We are the ones who choose how close we are to the Father.

Have you ever had the experience of stripping a screw or hammering in a nail crooked?  I have, many times.  When a hammer and screwdriver no longer work to remove your mistake, you must find some pliers, and those are next on our spiritual tool belt.  When stray nails, screws and staples find their way in the middle of your masterpiece, just like sins find their way into our lives, we must repent, patch the hole left behind and press forward.

Next is a phone.  I never leave the house without my cell phone.  It has become an important part of how I communicate and I feel lost without it.  Some of you probably feel the same way about prayer.  It has become of a lifeline for you.  A sure fire, go-to solution for when things get hard.  As opposed to a cell phone connection, the line between Father and child is open whenever the child is willing.

Last on our spiritual tool belt is a hammer, the iconic symbol of hard work.  The hammer reminds us that self-reliance and provident living are important parts of the plan.  Sister Beck said, “What a different world and Church this would be… if every sister was self-reliant enough to be able to give freely of her knowledge, talents, and resources.”

Of all of these things, having the Holy Ghost to be with us, reading our scriptures, making and keeping covenants, repentance, prayer and self-reliance Sister Beck said, “These are essential things which must be done before nonessential things. These are simple, indispensable practices that almost seem mundane when we talk about them. However, they are marks of discipleship which have always been foundational for Relief Society sisters. No one can do these things for us—these are personal practices and habits that set us apart as strong and immovable for that which is correct.”

It is my hope that we will each evaluate our spiritual tool belts and add those tools which will best help us to draw closer to God and be better disciples of Jesus Christ.  In his Holy name, amen.

No comments: