Monday, April 23, 2012

Road Trip from Down Under

My trip to Spokane for Time Out For Women, was wonderful.  Although the trip was short, it was good to see my sister-in-law and my niece and nephews.

The drive home was to opposite of wonderful.  In fact, it was horrible.  Miserable even.  We should have stayed one more night and driven home in the morning, but we didn't.  We left Spokane at 8:30pm and didn't arrive home until 2:30am.

Austin is sick with a fever in the 100s.  He kept waking up every 45 minutes the whole way home to cry "hold you, Mommy" which means "hold me".  Having not slept much the night before I was exhausted and a long drive at night didn't help.  I had to pull over several times for a 15-20 minute nap.

Just before midnight we had to stop in Ellensburg to get more Tylenol because Austin's last dose had worn off and his fever was back with a vengeance.  Let's just say that the trip inside the store did not go well and I was a broken woman in tears at midnight in a Super 1 Foods in the middle of no where (sorry Ellensburg) with two children who desperately needed to be at home in their own beds and not at the grocery store.

When we finally pulled into the driveway, Darren helped me carry the kids inside and we all went to bed.  At 5:00am Austin awoke with a raging fever again.  After some medicine he just cried, "hold you, Mommy" and reached up for me.  Instead of getting him out of bed, I got in bed with him and that is how Darren found me in the morning.

7 comments:

Quinae said...

I think that may be my favorite picture ever. What a good mom you are. That is a terrible story though. Sorry you had to live that. I love your independent fierceness that sometimes gets you in trouble. But it makes a good blog story!

Natalie Smith said...

Seriously a great mommy moment! Love it.

Sorry about the trip home and sicky kids.

lilibet said...

How sad for you both, but you got a wonderful picture out of it.

Sheryl said...

A mommy's got to do what a mommy's got to do! Way to go!

Shauna said...

This picture brought tears to my eyes. it really captures what it means to be a mother. You are such a sweet mom!

Ms Jones said...

Good mom! :)

Park Family said...

Way to go Mindy! Sometimes that is the only thing that works. I'm glad Darren captured the moment!