Saturday, June 2, 2012

Green River Marathon

Somewhere on my husband's bucket list it reads, "Run a Marathon" and as of today that item is crossed off his list.  Supporting him training for this huge accomplishment was not always easy and I complained about him being gone a lot, but I am so proud of him!

Here are some pictures before, during, and after the race.
7.4 miles in and looking good!
He's even still smiling!
Austin and I went to Alki to see Darren finish.  I pointed him out to Austin as he was coming in and Austin wanted to get down and "go get Daddy".  So I set Austin down and he took off running.  It was quite possibly the sweetest moment I have had as a mother (besides of course meeting each of my boys for the first time).
I know I wasn't the only one with tears in my eyes when Austin and Darren caught up to each other.

Darren carried Austin for the last bit of the race, so I guess in a way you can say that Austin finished a marathon today too.

Way to go Darren!  We're so proud of you.
By the way, he finished in 3:27:48, just under his personal goal of 3 1/2 hrs.

3 comments:

Natalie Smith said...

amazing. those last pictures are so cute with austin. congrats on the time.

Quinae said...

I didn't know about the austin story. That is so sweet.

Bonnie Bell Anderson said...

Love the finish line pics!!
(Yeah, this is kind of late - I just always forget to check the private blogs)
And good job Darren!