Friday, August 14, 2009

60-day Notice

Two weeks ago Darren received the dreaded 60-day notice from Boeing which means he has 60 days to find another job within Boeing, or he is done effective October 1st. For about a week the future looked very uncertain for our little family, but fortunately, Darren was offered and has accepted another job with Boeing and he starts next Friday.

Darren is excited to be working on the wing-to-body of the 787 Dreamliner, but unfortunately, the job is in Everett and he will be working mandatory 66 hour work weeks. A long work week combined with school on Tuesday nights and scouts/young men's on Wednesday nights is going to make for a very tired Darren and a very stressed out Mindy.

But, I am trying to count my blessings, so here goes...
  1. We will still have medical insurance
  2. Boeing is paying for Darren to go to school
  3. Trevor is a really good kid
  4. ...on the days when he isn't so good I have lots of friends I can call and vent to
  5. 26 hours a week of time-and-a-half means that I should get a pretty hefty "Help Keep Mindy Sane Budget" to use at my own discretion
Recently I have been drawing closer to Heavenly Father in prayer and learning to rely on the Savior to provide for me and our family. So far, He is keeping his end of the bargain and I have faith that He is mindful of our little family and that He is giving me a chance to step up to the plate and prove what a strong woman I really am.

So if you ever get a prompting to give me a call and see how I am doing, please do. I'm going to need all the help I can get so that I can be strong and supportive of my amazing husband who works so hard.

13 comments:

Shauna said...

Mindy, I need your #!!! I completely relate and have likewise feelings and would love to have a friend to faith-boost with! :)

Park Family said...

I think that's great that he got another job so quickly. It will be rough but at least he will have a job. Its good that Trevor is great for the most part. Way to look at the bright side! I sure wish we lived closer (even though its not that far away)

Kate said...

I'm so glad he was able to get another job! But, that is going to be so hard - I'm sorry. I admire your attitude though. We'll have to hang out! ;)

Anne said...

Mindy! You've got to check out bakerella.blogspot.com She announced they are judging cakes. All you have to do is send a picture of your cake to them. I think you should submit the water rafting one. Check it out. They have some pretty good prices. I bet you could win. Check it out!

Bonnie Bell Anderson said...

6. You didn't have ANY out of a job time, which is VERY stressful

7. Cake making budget just increased!

Anonymous said...

call me. come up. seriously. any time. we need to meet again. good luck. i am so relieved he does still have a job but i know all about those weeks when you only see your spouse on saturday and sunday. you can do it.

Chelle said...

Wow - sad and amazing news all in one post! Now that Ben has arrived, I have some time so we should get together. And if Darren needs a place to crash, our door is always open. Love m

The Kunz Family said...

Oh Mindy...Jared did that commute for two years...then we bought a place up near everett and Jared ended up working down in Renton again. Ahh such is life, but I'm glad that he found another position.

Margaret said...

I'm so glad he found a job. 66 hour work weeks? Hopefully for not too long.

Deborah said...

I had no idea. Darren mentioned having a job so things were ok, but he didn't tell the whole story. So nice to have a job, but it will be a stinky commute.

Jazzy said...

Well, I can tell you I'm glad to hear someone else is stressed too and I appreciate you encouraging words, because I'm feeling the very same way. We can do it!

Jamie said...

I really feel for you. When Jacob was 3-4 months old they had Matt on manditory OT. It's sure hard on Mommies. Hang in there and we'll have to get together one of these days and let the boys play. We've just moved South and I don't think we're very far from you.

Unguren said...

It is so hard when you have to worry about not having a job. I am glad he found one quickly.