Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Darren's Surprise Birthday Cake

Making a cake takes a lot of hours and hard work, but it is a lot more challenging to make a surprise cake for someone who lives in your own home. Darren's surprise river rafting theme birthday cake was my first attempt at fondant modeling and it was so fun to make.

I started a week in advance modeling the raft and Darren. A couple days before his birthday I went to my Aunt Shelley's house to bake, frost and cover the cake. (I very well couldn't have Darren come home to a house that smelled like cake with nothing to show for it.)

Then the day before the surprise party I added the water, trees, rocks, etc. When Darren saw the cake he was in shock. It really did look SO cool! So without further ado....Here's the cake!

2 comments:

Sorensen said...

Zoe is in awe of your cake making skills, as am I. Zoe's exact words were, "Those cakes are amazing, I bet that is her talent."

Margaret said...

Mindy that cake is awesome! I would love to learn how to command fondant like that. it scares me to try.