Monday, August 9, 2010

Seven Years on Eight-Nine-Ten

It is been 7 wonderful years today since I said "yes" and married Darren in the Seattle Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  Our life and our marriage has been a roller coaster of ups and downs, but I'm so pleased with Darren and I and the wonderful home and family we have created together.

Here's the Reader's Digest version of "our story"...

We met at an FHE activity on May 13, 2002.  I wrote in my journal that night about how my friend Shauna encouraged me to got out on a date with Darren or his friend Raymond and I told her no because I would never have a chance with either one of them.  Two weeks later I asked Darren out on a date to watch the sunset at the Des Moines Marina and he said yes.  That summer was wonderful.  We were young and in love, but I had plans to go to Eastern WA University in the fall.  On the way home from orientation, Darren dumped me.  He didn't even wait until we got to Mercer Island to dump me.  Nope, he dumped me in Moses Lake and it was a LONG, quiet drive home.

It wasn't until Darren dumped me that I knew that he was a keeper and so two days later when we worked things out and I decided to stay in town and live with my grandma so that I could go to Shoreline CC and be closer to Darren.  We did a lot of fun things while we were dating like snowboarding, the Nutcracker, walks along Alki, concerts at the Showbox, etc.

On March 28, 2003 Darren proposed at the park where we decided to get back together after our brief break up.  Our engagement was one of the most stressful times of my life.  Planning a wedding was stressful on top of both of us working full-time and going to school.  Not to mention the financial stress as I tried to plan a wedding with only the money in my checking account.  Fortunately, I have some wonderful friends and family members who really stepped up to help out.

On August 9, 2003 Darren and I entered the temple together to be married and sealed for all eternity as husband and wife.  I will never forget the emotional experience it was to be in the temple with my family and friends being sealed to Darren.  It was overwhelming to be accepting such a huge responsibility (eternity is a long time...especially when you are only 20 years old) but it was a wonderful day.

A lot has happened in our 7 years as a married couple and looking back I can see how the hard things we have been through, like my struggle with depression, our first year of marriage, my molar pregnancy, etc. have helped to fortify and strengthen us a couple.  And I'm so pleased with us for all that we have done to be good people and good parents to our children.

That was then...
When we were so excited to see what life had in store for us.

And this is now...
When we are finding out that life is more challenging and yet more fulfilling than we ever thought possible.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Congrats! We celebrate 5 years next week and did the same thing with the family taking a picture at the temple! Great minds think alike!

lilibet said...

What a sweet post. Congratulations!

Bonnie Bell Anderson said...

Happy Anniversary Mindy and Darren. What a fun story.

Sheryl said...

Congradulations! You are a wonderful couple and wonderful family. It is the downs that make the ups more worthwhile.

Koko said...

Oh I love, love, love that you wrote all of this and included pictures! What a wonderful couple you are...okay, family! And I'm so grateful that we get to have you in our ward family! You have lots to be proud of -- keep ENDURING! haha Love you!

andre'a said...

that's so sweet. very thoughtful and kind. 7 years is a crazy-long time to me, that's so wonderful!