Thursday, April 29, 2010

Austin's Birth Story: Part Three, Pushing & Delivery

(Sorry to leave you hanging so long.  Yesterday was CRAZY, but we are back on track now.)

So, we're barreling down the hall from triage to my room and I am pushing with each contraction.  Once in my room I can hear people rushing around, but I could care less.  Martha told me to get into whatever position felt most comfortable and do whatever felt best.  That was such a welcome change from triage where I was required to lay on my side.

With each contraction I would push, and it felt so good to have something to do instead of just relax and wait for it to pass.  Jenn kept putting cool wash cloths on my neck and forehead and that felt good too.  After only a few pushes my water broke and I heard Martha say that it was clear.  I continued pushing on hands and knees for a while and then they had me get onto my side to see if Austin liked that position better.  It wasn't long before we could start to see Austin's head and all his dark hair.

Eventually, Martha decided that I needed a little help getting Austin under my pubic bone, so she took a sheet and tied a knot at one end.  She handed me the knot and told me that I was going to play tug-of-war with my husband during my next contraction.  So the next contraction came and I pulled and Darren pulled and it seemed to help Austin come down more.

This went on for what seemed like an eternity to me, but couldn't have been more than 20 mins or so.  Then something changed and I could see that Martha was getting nervous and I could hear that after each contraction it would take Austin's heart beat a while to come back.  I started to get scared for Austin and scared that I couldn't push him out, but everyone did a great job reassuring me that I was doing a good job.

Then Martha got really serious and everyone else got really bossy and they told me that I had to push and push really hard because Austin had to be born right now!  So I pushed and when I thought I couldn't push anymore I did, and Darren pulled on the sheet and I pulled back and just when I thought I might pass out, Austin was born at 7:53 pm, two hours after we arrived at the hospital.

It was amazing.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Wow, talk about a lifetime movie-- it was scary there for a bit.

Lea Tame said...

Wow! That scares me to do it all again! I think after a year, I forgot and this reminded me!