I'm a nosy neighbor and a concerned citizen. Because of this I average a call to 9-1-1 about once every two months or so. Prior to my call at 4:00 am this morning my last call was right before Austin was born to report four teens smoking pot in the wooded area at my local park. (It's a popular pot smoking hangout and this wasn't the first time I have called.)
So this morning I was nursing Austin and I heard some yelling outside and then a consistent sound that I couldn't understand. After I was done nursing I opened my bedroom window so that I could hear what was going on and I hear a man groaning "Owwww" like he was in awful pain. I put on some shoes and went outside to hear better where the sound was coming from and it was coming from my backyard neighbors house. I went back inside and called 9-1-1.
I told them everything about what I had heard, where it was coming from, etc. About this time Darren got up with me and we were watching out Austin's bedroom window waiting for the police to show up. At one point I hear another awful "Owwwww" and before I could stop myself I was shouting out the window, "Sir, Are you OK?" I got no answer but there were some banging sounds and lights were turning on and off in the house and curtains were being closed.
At this point my mind started racing... What is going on? Is he just passing a kidney stone? OR Did someone come into his home kill his wife and leave him for dead? (It was at this point I went downstairs to make sure the front door was locked.)
After talking to the responding officer on the phone and making sure he had the right house I saw him come around to the back of the house with his huge flashlight and look around to see if anyone was outside. He even turned his light on me sitting in my upstairs window watching him. I heard him knock on their door and I could hear talking but I couldn't make out what they were saying. Shortly after that they all got in their cars and left.
The officer called me back and told me what happened...
The wife went to get her husband who was very drunk. He refused to come inside the house and instead was sitting on the front lawn puking and moaning because of how awful he felt. When the wife heard me yell to ask if he was OK, she drug him inside the house.
So I didn't save any one's life, but I'm glad that I called anyway although it might be awkward the next time I see them since I'm pretty sure they know it was me who called 9-1-1.
4 comments:
We need more good citizens. Thank you for doing your part even if it was over puke. ;)
Oh, that's funny. Well, at least they know you care. And good for you for reporting pot-smokers. Ugh, what a disgusting thing to be lurking around your house.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that calls 9-1-1 on my neighbors. We have made several calls in the last year. I hope you were able to get some sleep after all that excitement!
That is so good of you! Tracey Chapman sings this a capela song about a neighbor who beats his wife and every time the police come, there's nothing they can do and then one time the police come and the wife's dead. It's a really touching, good song. You did the right thing!
I'm not sure if it's my secret (or not-so-secret) wish of being in the FBI, but I too try to make things right in society (turning provocative magazines over--except sometimes the backs are just as bad as the covers), asking kids not too swear, etc.
You rock the world and are saving it little bit by little bit!
Post a Comment