So, I took the pill, Jenn left and I went to bed. It must have been a good pill because I have no idea what really happened during the next couple hours, but eventually I woke up and Jenn came back and she fed me again (thus ensuring that I would not have a C-section anytime in the next 8 hours).
With each contraction Jenn would rub two racquetballs on my lower back and it felt amazing. Darren also took turns rubbing my back. I really had no time to think about anything else except getting through each contraction, but I could tell that they were coming closer together than before and my back pain wasn't getting worse during each contraction, so I knew that Austin was finally in a good position.
I spent most of the afternoon sitting on a birthing ball and around 5:00 pm Jenn called the midwife on-call, Martha again and updated her on my progress. It was the first time I really understood how close together my contractions were and that we were headed to the hospital very soon.
Jenn warned me that the drive to the hospital would be miserable and she was pretty much right. Fortunately, we live close and I only had 3 or 4 contractions in the car. Once at the hospital I waddled slowly with Jenn to the Birth Center while Darren parked the car. One look at my face and the lady at the reception desk sent me into triage.
In triage I changed into a gown and they hooked me up to a fetal monitor. It was OK at first because I was on my hands and knees, but then they made me lay down on my side... It was miserable. Ten minutes of monitoring turned into 20 minutes of monitoring as soon as the nurse saw my signed consent form to have a VBAC (vaginal birth after c-section).
Somewhere in the middle of my 20 minute hell, Martha the midwife on-call came in. I was mid-contraction when she arrived and she immediately came to me and started rubbing my head. She introduced herself (I had only met her once, briefly during an appt.) in between loving affirmations of how wonderfully I was relaxing during each contraction.
At one point I remember that I had someone rubbing my lower back with the balls, someone rubbing my upper back, someone rubbing my head, and someone rubbing my feet. And the whole time I kept hearing loving affirmations that I was doing such a good job.
During one contraction I remember thinking, I think it would feel good to push just a little, but I resisted because I didn't want to be one of those people who tries to push when they are only 5 cm dilated. A couple contractions later I couldn't help it and I gave just a little push. Jenn noticed and she said something like, "I think she just tried to push".
Shortly thereafter Martha gave me an internal exam and I was 8 cm dilated and 100% effaced. I think everyone, myself especially was shocked that I was so far along. This is when I knew that my VBAC dream was coming true. It was also the second time I had smiled in a long time.
After my exam, things got a little more urgent in my little triage room. Soon I had an IV in and just in time because my contractions were right on top of each other and with each one I had to give a little push. Next thing I knew we were barreling down the hallway to my room...
6 comments:
Again, glad for the c-section. :)
This story is awesome!
I ditto Dawn- AWESOME!
I actually just remembered that III--neeeeeeed--tooooo-puuuuushhhh feeling. So hard to hold back - amazing bodies we have!
this is a total Lifetime movie. I LOVE it! Good job! You're wonderful, Mama!
I am in suspense for the rest of this, you are mean to do it in little segments (but I am also amazed how that you are finding time to type this out so soon after having him). Good job!
Post a Comment